Monday, June 2, 2008

MUJI

I cannot describe how excited I am to see that the Muji store in Midtown Manhattan is open!!!! Apparently the grand opening was Friday. I don't know how I missed it, to be honest with you... but never the less, I was way giddy upon entering those glass doors!

What is Muji? A sweet Japanese store with simply designed products. The name "MUJI" is derived from the Japanese phrase "Mujirushi Ryohin," meaning "No Brand Goods." Some might kill me for saying this, but dare I say... it's like a Japanese Ikea in there, that's how much I think you will love it.


This store is all that and a bag of Doritos, for real!! 45 minutes and $45 later I emerged with a bag of goodies... I'm not even supposed to be buying stuff (saving for the wedding), but I've literally been walking past the Muji "coming spring 2008" sign twice a day since the sign went up so I HAD to go in. Right now, the only place to buy Muji items online is at the MOMA store, but that will only get you 11 pages of shopping and a mere glimpse of all that Muji has to offer. I am serious, if you haven't discovered this gem yet.... you should stop buy the new flagship store in the New York Times building across from Port Authority on the 40th street side. If anything, you'll enjoy the space and the view of the little forest they built inside the times building.

1 comment:

Jake Redman said...

I can't quite wrap my head around Muji. I keep going into the one in Soho but never buy anything. The stuff is all great but crazy expensive for what it is...

My favorite is the "assemble your own pen". I can't remember the exact price but I know it was a little nuts...and Staples has cool pens that I don't have to put together but look just as cool.

But I do love their store and the simplicity of it's stuff.