Sunday, August 10, 2008

Mission: Breakfast


This morning I woke up with a mission in mind. My mission: Make a frittata. I looked up a few recipes and realized that the base is pretty much the same and I could make any kind of frittata I wanted! Here is the base I used:

6 eggs
1 cup of milk
2 tbsp butter (melted)

In the fridge (which has pretty much been empty for a few weeks) I had an onion, a tomato, a red pepper that had gone bad (and thus unusable), sliced chorizo, a tiny bit of leftover shredded cheese and a block of jalapeño jack cheese. And that is ALL i had in my fridge after I removed the milk, eggs and butter!!

Onion
Tomato
Sliced Chorizo
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Jalapeño Jack Cheese
Parmesan Cheese


I shredded the sliced chorizo and then sauteed it with diced onions and a diced tomato. I poured this mixture into the egg base and whisked it a bit with some parmesan cheese. I poured this concoction into a greased baking dish then topped it with diced jalapeño jack cheese, shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 tbsp), and more thinly sliced chorizo. This stuff appeared to sink, but when the thing came out of the oven it definitely helped to form a crust on top. Then I baked it at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. WA-LA, out came this beautifully golden crusted tasty creation... I know, I impressed myself. I highly recommend this as a brunchy type meal, or a "now i feel guilty for eating that" meal. It is mighty tasty!

1 comment:

Maria said...

I love chorizo and this frittatta recipe sounds so delicious.
Maria